Here are some useful tip's before you move
The following is a list of things you need to do before you move:
- If you haven't already done so, arrange for a lawyer - your agent can provide you with some names of local firms, if you don't have someone in mind.
- Book the movers. It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
- Make special arrangements for moving the perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
If you OWN your present home:
- Call the gas, and electric companies and let them know your are moving and arrange to have all the meters read on the appropriate date.
- If your water heater is rented, arrange for the transfer of the rental agreement to the new owners.
- Instruct your heating oil supplier to fill the tank on appropriate date.
- Advise the telephone and cable television company of your move and have the discount their services on the appropriate date.
- Advise all your present service companies of your new address so final billings may be directed to you.
If you RENT your present home:
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord, and make arrangements for the return of any money you may have on deposit.
At your new home:
- Make arrangements with the gas and electric utilities, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Obtain "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well in advance
- Have the post office forward mail to your new address
- Inform gardening, dry-cleaning, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services.
- Arrange for services at your new address.
- Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities. Obtain a letter of introduction from your current bank to help establish new accounts.
- Inform all creditors (Visa, Master Card, etc.) of your new address and the date it becomes effective (Don't forget pre-authorized payments)
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships
- Garage Sale - consider having on to dispose of unwanted clothes and furnishing
- Collect all items out of cleaning, repair or storage
- Safely dispose of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.
- Driver's Licenses - change of address effective the day of move
- Arrange with your lawyer access to the keys of your new home
- Obtain a supply of boxes for moving and devise a colour code system for the various room designations
- Leave a note in the house with your address for the new occupants so they can forward your mail
- Important to note have your move complete by closing which can take place between 9:00 am to 6:00 pm I recommend you have your move arranged so your finnished your final cleaning by mid day.