Help for Durham seniors is only a call away


If your parents are starting to decline but want to continue living in the home that they love, there are services available to assist them. Managing care for an aging parent is a challenge but help is out there. You just have to know where to look. 


Your first partner should always be the family doctor. Your parents’ doctor can ensure your mom or dad is taking the correct medications and can recommend services that might be helpful. The doctor may make a referral for your parent to a geriatric specialist or the Geriatric Assessment and Intervention Network Clinic. 

The next call I would make to get help would be to the Community Care Access Centre. The CCAC is a government-funded organization that will co-ordinate various types of care in the community and I should mention that it is not limited to assisting seniors, it help anyone in the community who needs it, from children to seniors; people in retirement residences to people being discharged from hospital as well as people with chronic care needs at home. There are 14 CCAC offices in Ontario based on geography. In Durham Region, we are supported by the Central East CCAC which can be reached at 1-800-263-3877.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published