Having a plan to complete Fall Maintenance for your home will save big bucks and headaches down the road!
The past few winters we have had extreme weather. Bricks absorb moisture in damp cool weather and freeze in extreme cold damaging brick which is costly to repair. Here are a few tips to save you from $1,000’s of dollars in repairs to your home and possible deal breakers when selling your home!
- Inspect roof and chimney for cracks and damage.Tuck point any cracks in mortor joints and chimney caps to prevent significant damage and possible collapse.
- Hire a chimney sweep to clean your chimney
- If not already installed, purchase chimney caps to prevent pests and debris from entering the home
- Inspect your homes brick work and tuck point any cracks
- Fill cracks and reseal your driveway to prevent frost damage
- Remove hoses from and turn off shut off valves to spigots. Drain and store indoors, coiled and flat.
- Drain power washers to protect them from freezing in your garage
- Check and repair damaged caulking around windows and doors fix damaged weather stripping
- Service your Furnace and change the filter several times through the winter.
- Clean eavestrough and downspouts and make sure they run water away from the foundation to avoid leaks.
- Repair walk ways and patio’s that don’t slope away from the foundation due to settlement
- Check perimeter grading to make sure landscaping slopes away from your foundation
- Prune trees to prevent any damage that might be caused from ice storms
- Aerate and over seed damaged lawns in early fall using mulch and rye seed.
- Test snow blower and have it professionally serviced if necessary.
Call Jim today if you have any questions or concerns about your home being ready to sell this fall! 905-434-2022